Sunday, May 25, 2008

Speed Racer

I had a curious experience while seeing Speed Racer. I saw it in IMAX, and it broke down twice. The first time, the managers came out and gave my friends and I popcorn and a Speed Racer poster. The second time it broke down they gave us a free pass to any movie we desire and our money back. So no, I didn't see the whole thing, but I'll judge from the 2 hours I did see.

Speed Racer (yes thats his name) is a very talented race-car driver (shock!), and in fact that's just about his only talent. His family is known for racing, his famous brother died in the dangerous Casa Cristo race, and his girlfriend Trixie isn't too bad at racing herself.

Speed becomes very famous, so when corrupt industry owner Mr. Royalton shows up and offers him a deal with his company and Speed refuses, Mr. Royalton promises Speed that he will never finish a race again, and enlists many henchman to kill him on the track. Speed gets help in the form of a mysterious rival named Racer X, along the way. Can Speed win the Casa Cristo and expose Mr. Royalton's corruption?

Words cannot describe how terrible this movie is. In fact, I even thanked the theater for the refund, it was so terrible. The dialogue is wooden, the plot is stupid, and although many great actors star in this movie, none act convincingly. It is a shame, as the Wachowski Brothers (directors) are very talented people, and amongst my favorite directors. The only good thing about the movie is the visual effects. The colors pop in every way, and the races are cool and entertaining. Unfortunately, the actual racing only takes up about 15 minutes out of 140.

So, rest assured that Speed Racer is the worst film so far this year, and rest assured that I won't see it again if anyone pays me. F

No comments: